Author Topic: Atlanta Resident  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Lisa B

Atlanta Resident
« on: May 12, 2014, 11:09:29 AM »
My name is Lisa and I live in Atlanta in an intown neighborhood. I am currently at 10 1/2 months with no steroids of any kind after 30 years off and on, but mostly on.  I had great improvements at about 6 months in, but it has all flared up again (nothing like the first 6 months, though, so I'm not complaining). It would be great to connect with others in the area. I am wondering if anyone has noticed any big changes with the crazy pollen counts. It may be coincidence that my skin got worse at about the same time.
I was also treating asthma with inhaled steroids, but stopped at the same time that I stopped the topical steroids. I have had absolutely no asthma symtoms whatsoever since stopping with is crazy to me. I haven't had any issues with asthma with the pollen, but I do get sneezy and watery eyes.
 I am seriously considering moving to another part of the country with longer winters to see if it makes a difference. I lived in upstate New York in my mid-twenties and had minimal allergy/skin issues.
Used various strengths from infancy (34 years old), 6 steroid shots, inhaled steroids for asthma, steroid nasal spray. Stopped June 26, 2013

Offline jackanna

Re: Atlanta Resident
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 08:48:14 AM »
Hi, Lisa

I've been off steroids now for seven months, after 47 years on.  Also had (have?) bad asthma, but has miraculously improved (wild).
I live in Sandy Springs, and would love to connect with fellow travelers.

John

PS. I'll pm you my phone number.  :smiley:

Offline Ashby91

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »
Hi lisa,
im new to the forum and my 6th day into TSW. I also live in atlanta, midtown area. i would really really love to get in contact with you. im 23 with no family here and the process that has barely even began has been a nightmare. I so afraid for the months ahead as ive heard it only get worse. I will look and see if there is a way i can send you my contact information. Look forward to hearing for you soon

Offline UK Kelly

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 01:47:28 PM »
I think one of our healed vets is that direction, Jen is from. Georgia and Atlanta rings a bell? Sorry a bit vague but sometimes it's nice to know someone near you who is better.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline coalrush

• Everything is gonna be alright
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 11:13:09 AM »
I'm not sure if any of you are still active in the forums, but I'm an Atlanta resident in Sandy Springs. I don't think pollen has affected me so far this season, but I've been careful to stay indoors.
Steroid-free since March 29, 2015. Chronic eczema

Offline Barron1231

Re: Atlanta Resident needs a doctor
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 10:37:20 PM »
I!m trying to find a doctor that knows what red skin syndrome is and topical steroid withdrawal. I am going on my 3rd month of topical steroid  withdrawal and the rash has spread from my face and arms to my Legs and feet. My general practioner doctor has not heard of RSS, does,not believe that RSS is a real disease and says that I need to find a dermatologist. I recently went to a dermatologist who wants me to start back using steroid creams and I told her no. Does anyone know a doctor that is supportive and knows about topical steriod withdrawal? I live in the northeast section in Atlanta, near north lake mall.      Karen

Offline Barron1231

atlanta doctor
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 10:39:38 PM »
I!m trying to find a doctor that knows what red skin syndrome is and topical steroid withdrawal. I am going on my 3rd month of topical steroid  withdrawal and the rash has spread from my face and arms to my Legs and feet. My general practioner doctor has not heard of RSS, does,not believe that RSS is a real disease and says that I need to find a dermatologist. I recently went to a dermatologist who wants me to start back using steroid creams and I told her no. Does anyone know a doctor that is supportive and knows about topical steriod withdrawal? I live in the northeast section in Atlanta, near north lake mall.      Karen

Offline jtlevy

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 08:14:02 PM »
Karen: I'm currently looking for a doctor who understands TSW too. I have follow-ups with my GI and Allergist this month, and will probably be asking around if they don't know, so I'll keep you posted on my findings.

To everyone in this group: I'd be happy to stay in touch with any of you to form more of an Atlanta TSW community.

I'm only about 3 weeks in, so I'd greatly benefit from some community support, and I'm guessing everyone would benefit too.
Started TSW September 2016. Was using occasional Betamethasone for 10 years, got bumped up to Triamcinolone during my last flare up, along with two rounds of Prednisone and one steroid shot. Currently eating AIP to assist in TSW.

Offline coalrush

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 01:47:42 PM »
Hey all, sorry I've been absent. I haven't seen a GP in years, BUT my dermatologist has been so awesome for me. My eczema is more under control although I do experience a bit of redness time to time on my jaw/neck area. I see Dr Gregory Cox at Perimeter Dermatology - his office is in Sandy Springs near Northside Hospital.

The unfortunate news is that I ddi have to use a bit of low dose hydrocortisone cream to keep things under control, but this was better than doing a high-dose RX like triamcinolone. I'm also on cyclosporine now, but it's helping. Somewhat bracing myself for what happens when I need to taper off on the cyclo, but otherwise I feel like I've got my life back compared to where I was year 1.5 years ago.

Offline jtlevy

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 03:45:21 PM »
Glad things are improving. I hope tapering goes well if you have to do it. I'm about to be seen by a dermatologist at the Continuity Clinic which is Emory Clinic's dermatology center for special cases. Apparently it's hard to get into the clinic, but my dermatologist was so shocked by my skin that she pushed them to get me in quickly. I'll let you all know how it goes!
Started TSW September 2016. Was using occasional Betamethasone for 10 years, got bumped up to Triamcinolone during my last flare up, along with two rounds of Prednisone and one steroid shot. Currently eating AIP to assist in TSW.

Offline coalrush

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 10:19:44 AM »
Good luck, JT! I'm glad your doc was able to get you in for additional help. Keep us posted.

By chance I went to see my dermatologist this morning for a regular follow up. The good news I got is that dupilumab, the new injection drug for eczema, should be available in Spring 2017.

I saw in your signature that you're doing the AIP diet. How is that working for you?

Offline jtlevy

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 07:53:06 PM »
Hey Coalrush. The AIP diet has been going well. It helped clear some gastrointestinal problems I had before going off of steroids, and even cleared up a spot of alopecia areata I had before going of topicals steroids too. I greatly believe that these were both caused by overuse of topical steroids (along with a period of high stress and more alcohol consumption than usual), so I think that AIP has helped prep me for going off steroids. When I went off of steroids, my reaction was bad, but not as bad as some people's pictures that I've seen, and I believe that AIP has helped here. I do, however, believe that AIP has more room to help, since I've only been off steroids for around a month, and they could have prevented complete healing.

Also, AIP is about more than just food: it's also about reducing stress, improving sleep, and working on your circadian rhythm. I believe that all of these have also helped with my attitude towards life in a way that has helped with TSW. I read the book "The Paleo Approach" by Sarah Ballyntine, if you want a good place to start. She mentions eczema many times throughout the book, so I think that eating this way will help clear up my eczema beyond the TSW. Since it's also about reducing stress, I think that it's best not to worry too much if you break it in the beginning, since you don't want to stress about the results. I'd say adopt an 80/20 mentality until you're ready to take it on 100%, that way it's not too much fuss over preparing food.

Thanks for the info on dupilumab being available so soon. That's great news! I'll definitely keep you posted on my dermatology appointment(s).

Offline coalrush

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »
Thanks for the info on AIP! I haven't been able to find a link or pattern on my eating habits except for alcohol or eating junk food. I get the "Asian glow" from drinks, so I usually don't drink or if I do, I'll take pepcid beforehand. I recently adjusted supplements: vitamin d, Nature's Bounty Hair Skin and Nails, and evening primrose oil. These seem to be working too to help my skin be supple. This is important to me as I have my wedding in February.

Nevertheless, I do agree on the stress and importance of sleep. I recently changed jobs from a high-stress consulting job to a much more manageable job that I'm enjoying. It was a substantial pay cut BUT I've seen my skin improve AND I get more sleep. The first time I had a huge eczema flare from stress was in college (GA Tech, go figure). It's a no brainer that I need to control my stress or take myself out of a high-stress environment.

Offline jtlevy

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 05:37:13 PM »
Coalrush: I'm glad the new job and the supplements are helping! I am a PhD student at Emory, so stress definitely was a major contributor, but after the crazy semester where the flare started, I realized that I can cut back my stress levels by taking on a few less responsibilities at a time. I had to learn that there is such thing as being too proactive.

I forgot to mention, the author of "The Paleo Approach" has a blog called The Paleo Mom, so if you don't want to buy the book and you want many informative articles and recipes, it's a great place to start. It's great that you're looking for food patterns. I just started a food/health/supplement journal a couple days ago to do the same thing.