Author Topic: Eye swelling and infections  (Read 1107 times)

Offline peachkey2

Eye swelling and infections
« on: October 05, 2016, 11:47:41 PM »
During the summer I was doing very well and felt great for the first time since the start of the TSW. Now my eyes have been swollen for months(the eyelids, not underneath) and they are starting to get infected. Every morning I wake up and have gooey green stuff in the corner of my right eye and it takes a few minutes for my vision to not be blurry. Has anybody had this problem and found a suitable solution? I've had this happen before last winter and it went away during the summer, however I'm worried what this will do to the health of my eyes in the long run so I want to know if there is a way to get rid of it sooner than waiting for the weather to change.
Used TS for entire life
Started TSW June 18, 2015

Offline pfwindsor

• Global Moderator
Re: Eye swelling and infections
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 01:36:06 PM »
This may not be the answer you're looking for, but I've had eyelid and under eye swelling for about half of my 3 years in TSW, along with what has been diagnosed as "ocular rosacea" (I would say, steroid induced ocular rosacea), which sounds a lot like what you are describing.  I am comfortable that my eyes are not infected and I use comfort tips and not prescription medication to deal with it; however, I can't emphasize strongly enough that if you think your eyes might be infected, please see a physician immediately!  Your vision is too important to rely on Forum members for advice! 

If you are prescribed an ophthalmic antibiotic (drops or ointment), note that many antibiotics can be prescribed with or without steroids in the formulation.  You can ask your physician this question and request the antibiotic without the steroid.  Speaking only for myself, I would not put any medication containing steroid in my eyes. 

There are many discussion threads about eye complications, including others that you don't mention.  If you do a search for key words you'll find a lot of other helpful background info on the Forum.

Best,

Pam
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:45:43 PM by pfwindsor »
20+ years of TS use; started TSW October 2013

Offline Itchy Dave

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 11:52:08 PM »
I have a bad eye infection today. Its the first one ive had in 8 months of TSW.

Offline coalrush

• Everything is gonna be alright
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 02:02:06 PM »
Peachkey, sorry to hear about this. This sounds awful and I can relate somewhat because I had a major eye infection over a year ago which brought me to read/post on the ITSAN forums.

To me, hearing about "gooey green stuff" is probably a sign you should go see an eye doctor. Your body is obviously fighting the infection, but progression of infected fluids is usually clear, white, yellow, and then green. Are you scratching or rubbing your eyelids often? Try not to scratch, rub or pick at your eye.
Steroid-free since March 29, 2015. Chronic eczema

Offline peachkey2

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 11:31:16 AM »
Thank you for the comments everyone. So I'm sorry, but I didn't go to the doctor. I just have bills from the other doctors I've been to piling up and they didn't really even help me.  Anyway, the infection went away on its own. I've figured out over my year of TSW so far that my triggers are food and the environment. I think it was the season change that triggered me- I flare up every time- to get the infection. Now that the weather has sort of "normalized" to be winter, it has gone away and my eyes aren't so puffy. I still, however, have a long way to go. I recently bought an air purifier and I hope that helps.
Used TS for entire life
Started TSW June 18, 2015

Offline dianek

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 04:19:17 PM »
I had the same problem and i still get dry eyes form time to time from tsw. I read about someone using castor oil for their eyes and that helped me big time. I use it as needed. Theres another treatment that u can order fro. Amazon and its called hylo care.  The doctors kept giving me antibiotics that never worked.  I was given eye antibiotics that even have steroids and luckily i found out about it b4 i aplly it. What i
 had was severe dry eyes due to tsw and it caused it to get infection. Castor oil is God send 4 me.