Author Topic: Nephew was give .1% topical steroids  (Read 521 times)

Offline joy

• Semi-Newbie
Nephew was give .1% topical steroids
« on: March 11, 2017, 09:22:08 PM »
Hi ya'll,

I gave up topical steroids in the fall of 2013. My skin is much better now. I'm pretty much 100% healed besides my anxiety scratches.

Currently, I'm worried about my nephew. My sister gave him .1% topical steroids at 16 months old. How long will it take for him to become addicted? Can the withdrawal period be life-threatening for him? I've read so many horror stories but I'm praying that he'll be ok.

Truly,
Tiffany Joy
Used steroids for 20+ years (fluocinonide ointment, triamcinolone ointment, prednisone, desoximetasone, a couple others since I was 10 months old)
TSW since September 2013

Offline Andrew B.

• Global Moderator
  • M/32/Los Angeles
    • http://www.reddit.com/r/eczema
Re: Nephew was give .1% topical steroids
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 11:46:17 PM »
In general topical steroids are safe if used in moderation.

"With proper guidance, respectful usage, and close monitoring, it seems that the vast majority of patients can use topical steroids briefly when needed, and then be steroid-free with very little risk and great benefit."

- Dr. Peter Lio in "The Challenges of Topical Steroid Withdrawal"
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 11:49:08 PM by Andrew B. »
Used TCS for 15 years before starting TSW in early 2013.

Best Resource to Share with Doctors

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Georgie.C

• Global Moderator
Re: Nephew was give .1% topical steroids
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 06:22:04 PM »
I used steroids as a kid then stopped using then and didn't get TSW. That happened aftewards. I think you can use the creams safely if you don't use it constantly without a break. Only 5 days at a time or something (don't quote me on that though I am far from an expert just another TSW sufferer flying in the dark and hoping for the best)

That being said my daughter came up with really bad skin on her face recently (she was 6), the doctor prescribed her steroid creams and I just couldn't bring myself to use them after what I'd been through, couldn'tbear to see her like that. So we tried everything else and eventually discovered that tomatoes were her trigger. Cutting them out solved everything. If she inadvertantly has tomatoes her skin gets bad again and it takes a good month or so for it to go down again. Once in flare we have to cut her intake of a lot of other unnatural foods (Chocoloate, Sweets, foods high in colouring high acid fruits) as these seem to make the flare worse.

I do beleive that a lot of child skins conditions are linked to foods or other triggers. The hard part is finding what triggers. Washing powder etc etc. But doctors haven't got time to try and find the link or trigger how can they in a 15 min appointment so out comes the TS.  But they just mask the problem as they don't get to the root cause.