Author Topic: UCSD Publishes Study on the Importance of Good Skin Bacteria  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Andrew B.

• Global Moderator
  • M/32/Los Angeles
    • http://www.reddit.com/r/eczema
UCSD Publishes Study on the Importance of Good Skin Bacteria
« on: March 08, 2017, 08:27:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

“We discovered that healthy people have many bacteria producing previously undiscovered antimicrobial peptides, but when you look at the skin of people with atopic dermatitis, their bacteria are not doing the same thing. They have the wrong type of bacteria,” said Richard Gallo, MD, PhD, professor and chair of the Department of Dermatology at UC San Diego School of Medicine. “After isolating the good bacteria and growing it, we were able to transplant it back to people who were deficient in it and it had an immediate impact by reducing the amount of S. aureus on the skin.”
Used TCS for 15 years before starting TSW in early 2013.

Best Resource to Share with Doctors

Offline BraveC

Re: UCSD Publishes Study on the Importance of Good Skin Bacteria
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 06:38:55 AM »
Looks like some good research. Thanks for posting this, it was a very interesting read.
Parent of 4 Year old. Applied Triamcinolone .1% 2 to 3 times a week for 3 years. Also used Protopic and had prednisone a couple of times. Quit October 2015

Offline Joey VanDyke

• Administrator
  • This too shall pass~
    • Red Skin Syndrome
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 01:10:04 PM »
That sounds promising, Andrew. Thanks for sharing.  :thumb up:
Started TSW 9-2010- fully healed at 62 months. :)

Offline jackwalia

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 03:55:08 AM »
Thats good but what i m curious to know is will eating probiotics or prebiotics  increase good bacteria on skin?

Offline Nmopepisdn

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 05:24:44 AM »
this looks interesting, but i would take it with a grain of salt as it's biased research of course.
Disclosure: Teruaki Nakatsuji and Richard L. Gallo are co-inventors of UC San Diego technology related to the bacterial antimicrobial peptides discussed, and Gallo is a cofounder, consultant, chair of the scientific advisory board and holds equity in MatriSys Bioscience, a company that is developing skin bacteriotherapy.

jackwalia: i'm wondering the same. taking probiotics did not help me during TSW
20+ years of intermittent TS use.
Steroid free: 12/2/13

Offline JT

• Semi-Newbie
    • Itchy, Red, and Miserable!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 05:07:13 PM »
There is a well known known link between Staph and eczema. What they don't know for sure is if there is a link between your gut bacteria and your skin, or if probiotics can help. I've taken some probiotics that were supposed to help, and like everything else I've ever tried, no silver bullet. I've also did a ubiome sample of my gut, but the results didn't really help me too much in my search.
Itchyred.blogspot.com

Offline Andrew B.

• Global Moderator
  • M/32/Los Angeles
    • http://www.reddit.com/r/eczema
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 11:15:43 PM »
I think for TSW the skin microbiome (staph + malessezia) is probably 10x more relevant than gut microbiome. Topical corticosteroids thin the skin, broken skin is a better environment for overgrowth, certain microbes probably thrive on wet skin while other microbes probably thrive on dry skin.

We would laugh at someone who says the way to fix a stomach bug is to rub probiotics on your skin. I don't know why so many people think the gut is the key to skin wellbeing.
Used TCS for 15 years before starting TSW in early 2013.

Best Resource to Share with Doctors

Offline JT

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 09:57:31 PM »
Gut bacteria has been linked to Parkinsons, Alzheimers, Type 2 diabetes, and many other autoimmune diseases. So I would be hesitant to completely dismiss that a link may exist between atopic dermatitis and your gut.
Itchyred.blogspot.com

Offline BraveC

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 05:17:53 AM »
I am also super skeptical about the whole gut health issue. Our ND seems to be trying to link my son's skin problems to this and the arguments just don't make sense. We have also taken some things out of his diet that last month and it hasn't done anything for him. You would think that if there was a gut issue you would have some gut related problems. My son has always had great digestive health.
Parent of 4 Year old. Applied Triamcinolone .1% 2 to 3 times a week for 3 years. Also used Protopic and had prednisone a couple of times. Quit October 2015

Offline AYID

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »
Gut issues can make sense for ECZEMA. TSW, however, is an externally-caused condition, so while their may be minor guy issues, focusing on gut health shouldn't make a tremendous difference.

Offline JT

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 09:53:10 PM »
How many people have TSW and not eczema? A small percentage probably.
Itchyred.blogspot.com