Author Topic: Nickel Allergy  (Read 1287 times)

Offline jtlevy

• Semi-Newbie
Nickel Allergy
« on: December 12, 2016, 11:15:24 AM »
Hey all,

I tried TSW from late September to mid November, and it was horrible (as usual), and I was persistent on pushing doctors to search for other contributing factors, and I just found out that I have a nickel allergy. I also found out I have lower grade allergies to dust mites, cats, dogs, and some trees in my area that bloom in Spring.

If you look up nickel allergies, the symptoms are just as bad as TSW, and they can last for many months if you don't take nickel out of your diet as well as your external surroundings. Even once you take nickel out of your diet, it can still stay in your system 2-8 weeks, and skin symptoms can last up to 6 months depending on how long your exposure has lasted.

Although I still greatly believe in TSW, I think that it's worthwhile exploring nickel and other allergies before assuming that you only have TSA/RSS. I'm no doctor, but I'm thinking that might be the reason why some people are still dealing with symptoms years down the road. This might also make the diet debate make more sense: nickel is found in so many random foods that eating low-nickel doesn't really comply with many allergy eating plans. Basically, I'm not saying that anyone else in here has the same allergen, but I'm reasserting ITSAN's advocacy of going through TSW under the watch of a doctor who will tell you whether or not he/she considers other allergies to be a contributing factor.

I'm already weaning myself back off of the steroids that the doctors put me on (I had to clear my skin up for the allergy test), and once I have more properly nickel-proofed my life, I'll get off the steroids completely, so I'll keep you all posted on whether or not I still have bad TSW when I come completely off of them again.

P.S. If you have a nickel allergy, cilantro helps take it out of your system!
Started TSW September 2016. Was using occasional Betamethasone for 10 years, got bumped up to Triamcinolone during my last flare up, along with two rounds of Prednisone and one steroid shot. Currently eating AIP to assist in TSW.

Offline CML

• Wow this sucks
Re: Nickel Allergy
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 02:34:33 PM »
Once Nickel is out of your system, let us know if you continue to flare..
35 years old.  Using various topical steroids entire life..mostly betamethasone .1%.  Started withdrawl February 8 2015

Offline coalrush

• Everything is gonna be alright
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 02:41:51 PM »
Hey jtlevy, there's also such thing as a nickel-free diet. The assumption is that some things you eat are exposed to nickel ie canned goods. My dermatologist recommended that I try this earlier this year and I'm not sure if it made a difference. Let me know if you're interested in the documentation and I can forward it to you.
Steroid-free since March 29, 2015. Chronic eczema

Offline AYID

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
JT, I hate to say it, but seems you've fallen for the thing that most of us fell for long ago: the belief that we are allergic to many things.
The truth is, however, that cortisone causes a lot of false positives on allergy tests, as well as increased sensitivity during use and withdrawal.

It is not recommended to do any allergy testing until AFTER healing from TSW. Don't make yourself nuts with extra restrictions now. A real pity.

Offline jtlevy

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 08:28:09 PM »
CML: Will do! It can take months for the rash to go away though, so it might be a while.

Coalrush: Exactly. The nickel free diet is what I was alluding to when I was talking about the food debates here on ITSAN. Also, consuming vitamin C when eating helps reduce nickel absorption.

AYID: I only reacted to one patch out of 99 substances, so I'm not worried about my body creating false positives. Also, one might deceptively think they're never healing from TSW if they have an untreated allergy, so the debate goes both ways. I did get through the first flare of TSW before doing the testing. I had already seen some negative reactions from high nickel foods before the testing as well. I understand that people should consider both sides of this debate, but rest assured that I did my research before diving into this.

I'll keep y'all posted!
Started TSW September 2016. Was using occasional Betamethasone for 10 years, got bumped up to Triamcinolone during my last flare up, along with two rounds of Prednisone and one steroid shot. Currently eating AIP to assist in TSW.

Offline AYID

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 10:54:51 PM »
Good luck! Hope it works out well for you either way.

Offline Nmopepisdn

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 11:09:36 PM »
i also tried a low nickel diet during my TS addicted days and never found any benefit. almost all foods contain nickel, just some less than others which makes it frustrating when evaluating for results. of course in hindsight, it was the TS usage that was confounding things. i cant motivate myself again to try it because of the PTSD from trying all kinds of diets :(
20+ years of intermittent TS use.
Steroid free: 12/2/13

Offline CML

• Wow this sucks
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 09:53:28 AM »
AYID, I feel the same way.  Another possible allergic reaction.  Maybe once tsw passes and you still have lingering Minor symptoms, it might be worth a try. 
If your body flares after quiting steroids, the issue is obvious
35 years old.  Using various topical steroids entire life..mostly betamethasone .1%.  Started withdrawl February 8 2015

Offline jtlevy

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 09:29:01 AM »
Hey Everyone! I'm back many months later to say that it worked! For those of you who tried low nickel diets and it didn't work, I'd say it's a hard thing to grasp. That's why, I've written a long post about it on my blog. Even for me, after a diagnosis, it took about 6 months to have the rash go away to the point where it's back to only occasional tiny patches of eczema on my knuckles and between my eyebrows. This was after following the diet rigorously, taking external nickel sources out of my life, and making a few other lifestyle changes.

Here's the link to the explanation: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (I forget the rules about links to external content, so feel free to just go to my website gastronerdy.com, and go to the second most recent post if the link is not allowed)

I'd like to use myself as an example of why you should definitely go through TSW with the support of a doctor. When I went off of steroids, my doctors finally took me seriously because they could see how drastic my condition was. If it weren't for this, the doctors would have never sent me to the specialty dermatology clinic that tested me for a nickel allergy. So while I was upset with modern medicine for a while, it was modern medicine in the end that saved me. I would not suggest trying a low-nickel diet and abstaining from external sources of nickel unless you have already been tested and have a positive result for the allergy. I went through months of trying to self-diagnose myself, trying other diet changes and natural therapies, and it probably caused more stress overall. I do advocate for integrative medicine/naturopaths, but I'd suggest going with the people who have done the research/gotten the credentials instead of going down the Google wormhole which will tell you scary things.

Topical steroids are extremely dangerous, if not only for the fact that they're addictive, but ALSO because they allow things like this to go unattended to. In my case, the steroid had covered up that there was something that I'm allergic to was lingering in my system, which is a totally different situation than many people going through TSW consider. Both addiction and my situation are possible, so it's important to consider both options.

I hope everyone here is doing well! I also GREATLY appreciate how supportive the TSW community has been throughout my entire journey!

Offline Leeboy80

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 04:54:11 PM »
jtlevy,

Honestly... I am glad to hear you are doing better, that is all that matters...but in my opinion, its post like these that give ITSAN a bad name. Please read Dr. Rapaports blog post "Misguided Therapies". To come on here and say "it worked" is just misleading.

Once again...glad you are doing better. Maybe some others can chime in here.

Offline pfwindsor

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 07:36:00 PM »
Hi All,

So glad to hear that jtlevy got medical answers and is feeling better.

I am not a physician, but will share my layperson's take on this.  If you have an allergy to nickel then eliminating exposure to nickel (contact exposure, diet or whatever) will dramatically improve your condition.  Congrats to jtlevy for finding answers and feeling better!  I think that's what this thread is about, not that eliminating nickel is a factor in recovering from TSA/W. 

Just trying to head off a misunderstanding  :smiley:

Best to all of you,

Pam
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:34:53 PM by pfwindsor »
20+ years of TS use; started TSW October 2013

Offline jtlevy

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 09:49:13 AM »
Thank you pfwindsor! You're exactly right. I was simply trying to say that it is important that you undergo TSW with a physician to make sure they've ruled out possible other causes to make sure it is only TSW and not something else or a combination of both TSW and something else (all three are possible).

Also, Leeboy80, it didn't simply work; it was a complex array of things that I had to do to handle the nickel allergy, which is why I linked to my explanation on my blog. I just know that here is not the place for that explanation, since this is a community for TSW people, not nickel allergy. I was on here as part of the ITSAN community for many months before finding this out. I'm only encouraging people to work with a doctor to rule out other options, but giving people the resource in case they find they have the same thing as me. I still agree that topical steroids are bad for you (clearly, as they were what led this allergen to build up in my body by hiding the symptoms), which is why I said in my post that I'm happy that ITSAN is here.

Offline mtem

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 05:55:22 AM »
I had severe nickel allergy, diagnosed by a dermatologist. Also soap allergy. This allergy gave me horrible rash on my hands and arms.

Identifying and eliminating sources of contact with nickel was step one (keys, door handles, faucets, jewelry, zippers, buckles). I bought a little bottle of Nickel Alert online and used it to test most of the metal objects in my home. Then I used clear nail polish or tape to cover objects that I could not avoid touching. This reduced the rash (though I still had rash from TS and soap).

Then I saw a naturopath who prescribed Niccolum 30C, a homeopathic remedy that has been proven to heal nickel allergy. He gave me a scientific research article backing up this information. It worked!

I am no longer reacting to any of the nickel objects that I touch. I am handling keys daily with no rash whatsoever.
In TSW since August 7, 2015. (Hand eczema due to nickel and soap allergy.) Used mild steroids periodically from 2006-2010, then was prescribed stronger ones from April 2012-July 2015 which only produced more rash. Prednisone in 2014. Cortisone injections as a teen.

Offline jtlevy

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 11:05:34 AM »
mtem: Thanks for the information about Niccolum 30C! It's super inexpensive on Amazon. I'll definitely ask my doctor about it. I'm glad you've been feeling so well!

Offline mtem

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 10:04:51 PM »
Jtlevy, just to give you a heads up that most medical doctors are unaware of the effectiveness of homeopathy. They are actually indoctrinated against it in medical school. But some are more open. I hope yours is one of those.
In TSW since August 7, 2015. (Hand eczema due to nickel and soap allergy.) Used mild steroids periodically from 2006-2010, then was prescribed stronger ones from April 2012-July 2015 which only produced more rash. Prednisone in 2014. Cortisone injections as a teen.