Author Topic: FDA approves new drug for Eczema: EUCRISA (CRISABOROLE)  (Read 2363 times)

Offline candybags12

Re: FDA approves new drug for Eczema: EUCRISA (CRISABOROLE)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 10:59:28 PM »
I just started using this medicine.  My back story is that 4 years ago, I stopped all steroids.  For about a year to a year 1/2, I went through terrible withdraws.  After that, I would get minor flares here and there. I would get them one place and then it would go away and I would get it another place.  It was pretty manageable.  Nothing like that 1st year.  Early last month, I started to flare on the back of my legs.  Then my neck.  Then when I saw that it wasn't clearing but instead getting worse, I stared to panic.  The thing was, the itch and pain was just like the first time but the rash looked a little different.  When I first went through withdraws, it would first look like angry red bruises in spots all over an area and then those areas would join to create the sleeve or cover a whole area.  This time, it was tiny bumps that I guess look like regular follicle eczema.  And sometimes the bumps would pop up and then go away.  So like I said, it felt the same but it definitely looks different than the first time around.  In some ways similiar but in some ways very different.  So I went to the doctor to see what was going on.  First doctor, I told right away no steriods and so they gave me a fungal cream and antihistamines.  Fungal cream made my neck A LOT worse and didn't really help.  So I went to another doctor and they were adamant about the steriods but I refused and just talked them into given me an antibiotic.  This was over a two week period while I waited for a dermotolgist appointment.  In that time, I cut out gluten, started talking krill oil, colleagen, and using vitamin d cream.  I was also taking the antihistamines and NSAIDS like motrin or asprin as well as the antibiotic.  It became manageable by the time I went to derm and I was resigned to keep up this regiment for what I assumed was the long haul of a really bad flare.  Derm looked at me for 2 seconds and said I had bad eczema and to stop using fungal cream (I had already).  She prescribed eucrisa since again I said no steroids.  It's been about 5 days and it is clearing up everywhere.  I'm definitely not endorsing it because it hasn't been long enough and I know the real test is when I stop using this cream.  She didn't say anything about how long to use it but I think I will stop at 2 weeks and see what happens.  Hope this information helps.  I'll keep you all posted.

Offline AYID

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 11:14:48 PM »
Definitely, please keep us posted. It could easily be a fluke due to the nature of TSW to cycle and clear rapidly.

Offline MarshMan

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 06:59:18 AM »
@candybags12  I went to an allergist this week and she gave me some Eucrisa samples.  I tried some, so far so good.  No adverse reaction, and seemingly some reduction in redness/flaking after 2 days. 

I've been in TSW for approaching 4 years now.  I've recently had some significant allergy markers escalate and even some asthma type lung issues, and I think this could be a factor in my recent flaring.  Another issue that I have, which I would caution others about, is sun-sensitivity.  My skin has become extremely sensitive to sunlight and burning from it.  I used to run every afternoon outside before I started TSW.  Now I don't dare go out in the sun unless fully covered.  In fact, it's my hands that are flaring, which get direct sunlight when I'm driving.  This of course would aggravate eczema there.  The bottom line, imho, is that TSW amplifies other issues with your skin, and certainly makes it less resilient and prone to otherwise innocuous triggers.  While I generally subscribe to the strategy to avoid medicated treatment for your skin and TSW, if you have a coexisting condition, you may need to actually treat that with medication of some sort. 

I'll try to report back with my experience with Eucrisa. 
Used topical cortisone cream occasionally since high school (~30 years).   Last exposure to TS: ~Jan 10, 2014

Offline AYID

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 12:34:34 PM »
Sun sensitivity is common of TSW. Sun increased Nitric Oxide which causes flaring. Nothing to do with eczema. Eczema responds well to sun.

As for Eucrisa, you do know that they don't even know HOW the drug works, right? Mechanism unknown. Long term side effects unknown...