Author Topic: Steroid eye drops  (Read 92 times)

Offline kwong

Steroid eye drops
« on: July 17, 2017, 01:23:05 PM »
Hi everyone, I have been given steroid eye drops (prednisolone) to use for my left eye which is inflamed, they told me to use it for 4 weeks but I'll probably use it less than that. Of course I am hesitant to use them. I've read about Dr Fukaya's blog which says steroid eye drops shouldn't be a problem for people going through TSW but has anyone had any actual experience with them while going through TSW?

Offline AYID

Re: Steroid eye drops
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 02:19:37 PM »
TSW CAUSES eye-inflammation, or rather, the steroids that affected the eye. My eyes were terrible while on steroids. Now they only get slightly inflammed from time to time.

I think the steroid drops are probably a bad idea.
I found green or black tea placed in the eye helps to calm inflammation.

Offline pfwindsor

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 12:43:13 AM »
Before and during TSW I was diagnosed with ocular rosacea (steroid induced, undoubtedly).  I treated it with comfort strategies and not with steroids and the symptoms became less severe and less frequent. I am almost 4 years in and rarely have eye symptoms at all now. 

If only we knew the definitive answer to your question, but we don't.  You should make the decision that's right for you, but I would opt for an alternative to steroids in any form, unless it was a critical situation. 
20+ years of TS use; started TSW October 2013

Offline kwong

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 12:48:08 AM »
It's to reduce inflammation in my eye for an upcoming cataracts surgery.. it's such a predicament. Use it and risk a setback or flare of some sort or not use it and pass the surgery for now. I'll try the alternative approaches for now though. Thanks for the replies guys.